Blogroll

Submit your site to a web directory. This site is listed under Adventure Racing Directory

Friday, August 3, 2012

How Do You Get Your NASCAR?

My how time changes.  We live in a world that never stops turning, constantly moving and ever changing.  I recall sitting down to watch a race on Sunday and listening intently to the prerace show, because that was the only "insider news" you could get.  Yeah there were newspaper articles and a couple select magazines that covered the sport, but for the most part the half hour or so prior to the green flag was where you saw the personalities behind the wheels and behind the pit wall.

Even prior to those days, races may or may not have been televised and even further still, the only NASCAR you could get was by rumor mill or by going to the race.  Imagine how daunting Jimmie Johnson would be if all you heard were tales of his wins and his five championships.  I would image kids would assume he were 10 ft tall and bullet proof.  Of course, some of his fans and even some on-air personalities currently think that way.

Today, NASCAR can get to you a plethora of ways.  You can get an instant NASCAR fix through Twitter, Facebook, or by surfing NASCAR sites on your smartphone.  You can also catch NASCAR shows on ESPN or even on the SPEED channel.

It never ceases to amaze me just how many fans who are die hard never access the inside information that can be had by following drivers, crew chiefs, spotters or even track personnel on Twitter and/or Facebook.  When I personally got on Twitter, I was shocked at how open and personable some of the drivers and team members were.  You literally could have knocked me over with a feather the first time I had a question answered by Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick, or even Mrs. Harvick herself.

Personability and being able to relate to the sports stars is, in my opinion, of utmost importance if NASCAR is to expand its current fan base, reach new markets, and even fill the stands week in and week out.  Social media, to me, provides more insight into the sport than any other avenue.

So how do YOU get your NASCAR?  Do you use Twitter (if so give me a follow @the_Bumpdrafter) or Facebook?  Do you read multiple NASCAR blogs?  Tell us who you recommend following!

FYI: Some of my personal favorites on Twitter are the Harvicks, Jimmie Johnson, definitely Brad Keselowski, @NASCARCASM, and ESPN's Marty Smith among others.

2 comments:

Ken Kaufman said...

I get my races the same way I always have, on broadcast TV. Since that means I miss half the season, I now turn to Jayski for more information. Most talk about the same things, there's little to distinguish the dozens of sources from one another, so I don't need Twitter or Facebook to add their spin.

Personality I can gather from post-race interviews.. I won't delude myself into believing that I can relate to someone who makes more in two or three years than I will in my lifetime. I don't care how nice folks seem on Twitter, they wouldn't give me the time of day at Food Lion. They're selling an image as Joe Everyman.

JD said...

I must respectfully disagree, Mr. Kaufman. I understand they are selling an image, but even if you think they are not genuine, up to the moment insight (such as BK tweeting during a red flag) is definitely interesting. Most drivers and on air personalities don't acknowledge you on twitter, such as one D list driver (even if he is a superhero in supercross) lives not 10 minutes from my fire station and we see him riding his bike occasionally- he never responds. Yet others like BK and Jimmie Johnson respond more than you would expect.

Many of the headline news online is pretty much the same as they get their info most of the time from NASCAR's news wire, complete with quotes and all. I personally try to mix a healthy amount of news with opinion from a fan's perspective.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management

Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR, Racing, Automobile, Chevrolet, Cars, Trucks, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Sports, Professional Sports, NASCAR Apparel, Sports Apparel, Sports Memorabilia, Sports Car