Blogroll

Submit your site to a web directory. This site is listed under Adventure Racing Directory

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Should NASCAR Add One Or More Road Courses?

Ok, so we all new this question was coming this week. I saw several people on Twitter lament that we would have to listen to the commensurate road course talk. “Why does NASCAR only race two road course races?” “Will the ‘Road Course Ringers’ perform?” However, the question does deserve an answer.

For the past few years we have seen an influx of interest from open wheel racers from Indy car and Formula 1. It is only natural that with that interest will come fan interest from those loyal to open wheel racing. Wanting to take advantage of that interest, along with new international fans of drivers like Juan Pablo Montoya, from Colombia, and Marcos Ambrose, from Australia, NASCAR should consider adding another road course venue.

Understand, as a NASCAR fan I do not necessarily want another road course. I enjoy the two we currently see at the Sprint Cup level, Sonoma and Watkins Glenn, but two seems to be enough to quench my thirst. I simply think that NASCAR should consider the possibility that adding one could garner international fan support and, more importantly, viewership.

NASCAR has definitely begun recuperating its ratings and viewer losses of the past couple years, but if it could get a boost internationally, why not?

One of the biggest roadblocks to this decision in the past has been a cold response, at best, from its largest fan base, the Southeastern U.S. Most of the lifelong fans did not enjoy the road course racing in the ‘90s due to the slower, green-flag, racing with little side by side action.

However, with the addition of two-wide restarts a couple years ago, racing at these two stops has gotten more aggressive. Also, more teams have shown strength there in the past few years, a departure from 15 years ago when only a handful of teams had a realistic shot at victory. These two changes have helped make road course racing a little more appealing to the average NASCAR fan.

A fellow blogger, “Walking Eagle”, suggested the same in a comment on this site which spurred this article. I replied back to him that I agreed that they should look at it, and possibly look at adding a road course race in the Chase. I understand, and agree, that most fans would emphatically disagree, which is why I think NASCAR should look at it along with a couple other changes.

I think that NASCAR should immediately (2012) move the Southern 500 at Darlington back to Labor Day. The Fontana race has done so-so and would do just as well on another weekend. Give the fans back a great tradition!

I also think that NASCAR should move the Chase finale back to Atlanta. Weather in Homestead is great in November, no argument. But the racing is mediocre at best. They have made strides with the graduated banking, I agree, but they don’t have the checkered flag finishes like Atlanta. Leave the fans with a show and they will walk out of the stands (or away from the TV) eager for Daytona.

Well, there are my thoughts on the matter. Now I don’t have to mumble under my breath every time Wally Dallenbach says “wheel hop” this Sunday. Please let me know your thoughts on the matter!


Follow me on Twitter @the_Bumpdrafter

1 comments:

Andy D said...

Definitely want to see Road America added to the schedule. I'd like it to run as the 1st race in the Chase if that's possible, but don't know the local weather conditions that time of year. They also couldn't put it in the Chase until teams had a chance to run there two or three times.

All for moving the Southern 500 back where it belongs. I'm neutral on Atlanta. I don't like Homestead but the Chase has rarely been close in the last twenty years so I don't always watch the last race.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management

Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR, Racing, Automobile, Chevrolet, Cars, Trucks, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Sports, Professional Sports, NASCAR Apparel, Sports Apparel, Sports Memorabilia, Sports Car